In the last month or so alone, we've had David Byrne's American Utopia concert film, Julien Temple's Shane Macgowan doc and the Sky Arts' Style Council film and the Delia Derbyshire feature - all of which have been very strong.

Looking ahead, I can't wait for Todd Haynes' Velvets doc.

But what are your favourite music films - documentaries or dramas?  And what forthcoming pics are you looking forward to?

I hadn't heard about the Velvets doc, hope it gets released soon!

I'm looking forward to seeing Alex Winter's Zappa film, and can't wait to see Peter Jackson's Get Back documentary. I remember The Beatles' press release saying that 'Let It Be' would also be released, so hopefully that actually happens. I also have a copy of Where Does A Body End, the Swans documentary, but still haven't found the time to watch it. 

For favourite music docs, I still really love I Am Trying To Break Your Heart, about Wilco recording Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. And Metallica's Some Kind Of Monster is still my favourite real-life Spinal Tap..

The Style Council film was terrific - the reunion right at the end was very touching. Watched the Ronnie Scott doc the other night and again, wonderful - some amazing footage and, of course, fantastic music. Still hoping to see the Peter Green tribute concert film at some point - postponed twice this year at my local venue due to the dreaded you-know-what ☹️

On 21/11/2020 at 23:29, Rob Franks said:

The Style Council film was terrific - the reunion right at the end was very touching. Watched the Ronnie Scott doc the other night and again, wonderful - some amazing footage and, of course, fantastic music. Still hoping to see the Peter Green tribute concert film at some point - postponed twice this year at my local venue due to the dreaded you-know-what ☹️

I think the reunion footage from the Council doc was withheld from press screeners, so it was a genuine surprise on broadcast.  I can imagine certain PW fans grumbling that he'll reform the Style Council, but he won't reform the Jam!

There's Peter Green news coming very soon, I think; both for the cinema release of the film and also the boxset.  I was at the concert, as it goes; an amazing night for many reasons.  Gilmour just walking on, unannounced, for "Oh Well, Pt 2" was mindblowing, of course. But away from that kind of marquee moment, Billy Gibbons was a pretty spectacular, though decidedly unshowy presence.

I don't want to go too deeply into this here, but I carry a torch for 'transitional' Mac: Kiln House, Future Games, Bare Trees.  Very overlooked, I think; we spent ages trying (unsuccessfully_ to get an interview with Danny Kirwan before he died.  I'm also vaguely intrigued by Benifold, the commune/house the band lived in during this period, which if memory serves isn't too far away from Headley Grange.  Surrey/Hampshire borders:  rife, for a time, with A list rock stars.

• Like 1
On 20/11/2020 at 15:27, Scott said:

I hadn't heard about the Velvets doc, hope it gets released soon!

I'm looking forward to seeing Alex Winter's Zappa film, and can't wait to see Peter Jackson's Get Back documentary. I remember The Beatles' press release saying that 'Let It Be' would also be released, so hopefully that actually happens. I also have a copy of Where Does A Body End, the Swans documentary, but still haven't found the time to watch it. 

For favourite music docs, I still really love I Am Trying To Break Your Heart, about Wilco recording Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. And Metallica's Some Kind Of Monster is still my favourite real-life Spinal Tap..

Scott -- unsubstantiated rumours persist that the VU doc will be in Berlin on maybe Cannes, so expect that possibly in mid-2021.  I'm prepared to be wrong about that, of course.

We printed a letter in Uncut recently from an American reader who'd seen LIB at a US Library of Congress screening.  It was filmed for television in 4 x 3 format, but had to be adjusted to widescreen for theatrical presentation; not entirely successfully, I gather.  There'd be a close-up of John singing, for instance, but you could only see his chin.  I'm hopeful that if/when LIB is re-issued it's shown in the original 4 x 3 format...

Yes, I Am Trying To Break Your Heart is brilliant.  If you've not heard it, by the way, you should check out Moonlight director Barry Jenkins' incredible remix of YHF: easy enough to find online.

1 hour ago, Michael Bonner said:

I think the reunion footage from the Council doc was withheld from press screeners, so it was a genuine surprise on broadcast.  I can imagine certain PW fans grumbling that he'll reform the Style Council, but he won't reform the Jam!

There's Peter Green news coming very soon, I think; both for the cinema release of the film and also the boxset.  I was at the concert, as it goes; an amazing night for many reasons.  Gilmour just walking on, unannounced, for "Oh Well, Pt 2" was mindblowing, of course. But away from that kind of marquee moment, Billy Gibbons was a pretty spectacular, though decidedly unshowy presence.

I don't want to go too deeply into this here, but I carry a torch for 'transitional' Mac: Kiln House, Future Games, Bare Trees.  Very overlooked, I think; we spent ages trying (unsuccessfully_ to get an interview with Danny Kirwan before he died.  I'm also vaguely intrigued by Benifold, the commune/house the band lived in during this period, which if memory serves isn't too far away from Headley Grange.  Surrey/Hampshire borders:  rife, for a time, with A list rock stars.

Maybe a good idea for a future Uncut article, Michael - something I don't think has been covered in the main magazine before? (Although obviously there's a lot in the UMG). Would be a nice surprise to see that incarnation of the Mac on the cover rather than Stevie, Lindsey et al.

4 hours ago, Rob Franks said:

Maybe a good idea for a future Uncut article, Michael - something I don't think has been covered in the main magazine before? (Although obviously there's a lot in the UMG). Would be a nice surprise to see that incarnation of the Mac on the cover rather than Stevie, Lindsey et al.

I'd love to do a 'transitional' Mac feature, Rob. So who knows...